Sunday, May 16, 2010

Hector's Dolphins for Drifters


For Steve, our friend and the proprietor of “Drifters” in Granity, New Zealand, I carved a pair of Hector’s Dolphins. Granity is acros the Ngakuwau River mouth from the hamlet of Hector. It is one of the few remaining homes for the endangered Hector's Dolphins, the smallest of the dolphins. One of the dolphins is from a red beach scrap of wood I used to carve some whales, and the other dolphin is from a bit of driftwood I picked up on the beach along the Abel Tasman Track on the north coast of the south island of New Zealand. I mounted them on some driftwood I found in front on the Mokihinui River down by the Rough & Tumble Bush lodge, along with a Pahoa shell I found out towards the end of Farewell Spit. But if you want to see them, you had better hurry, because Drifters will most likely be displaced by a big resort hotel that is planned to built across the street from this quaint little bar and resaurant.

No comments: